France has around 30 companies with nearly 200 brokers, not counting international ones, operating over the whole maritime transport sector in chartering, purchase/sale and orders for new ships on the international market.
A ship broker is an intermediary between the supply and demand sides of the ship chartering, shipbuilding, and sales and dismantling markets.
In these markets, the broker assists its clients (charterers, shipping companies or shipyards) in finding a counterparty, negotiating deals and preparing commercial documentation.
Brokers: an interface between charterer and shipping company and between shipping company and shipyard
Agence Maritime Pierre Lambot
Based in Les Sables d’Olonne, Vendée on the Atlantic Coast of France, the agency has roots there that go back some 90 years. Agence Maritime Pierre Lambot is an independent company covering following shipping activities:
- The sale and purchase, second hand or as new builds, chartering and brokerage of all types of vessels (cargo ships, workboats, offshore vessels, barges, fishing boats, passenger ships, etc…) in France and overseas. With its experience, l’Agence Maritime Pierre Lambot has developed a wide network of correspondents all over the world to satisfy its customers.
- Shipping agency: Agence Maritime Pierre Lambot acts for owners of cargo ships calling at the commercial port of Les Sables d’Olonne. It has strong lines of communication with industrial and commercial businesses, importers and exporters, etc.
In addition, Agence Maritime Pierre Lambot, in its capacity as shipping agent in proximity to customs offices, carries out all compulsory inward and outward formalities on behalf of ship owners.
Atlantic Marine Services
Atlantic Marine Services SAS, founded in 1987 by Jean-Pierre Millet, a French shipbroker since 1973, and his 6 professional employees, is exclusively dedicated to the sale, purchase, new-build and chartering of all types of ships and floating equipment (tankers, dry cargo ships, passenger ships, offshore vessels, fishing vessels, barges, service vessels, etc.).
Barry Rogliano Salles (BRS)
The BRS group ranks among the world’s very top shipbroking companies.
- more than 150 years experience: company founded in Marseille in 1856,
- more than 400 people employed, 100 in the group’s Paris headquarters,
- offering all shipbroking operations: chartering, sale and purchase and shipbuilding, and market intelligence,
- ten departments: crude oil, petroleum products, chemicals, gas, dry bulk, liner, offshore oil and gas, passenger ships, sale and purchase and newbuilding,
- an international presence in Brazil, China, Dubai, Germany, Greece, India, Luxemburg, Monaco, Norway, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, the UK and the US,
- over 3,500 transactions per year.
The BRS group also provides customers with a wide range of additional broking services including market analysis, business opportunities, tender management, ship valuations, feasibility studies and contract drafting.
In addition, the group offers related activities such as freight derivatives, yacht brokerage (YPI), web-based maritime information (AXSMarine, Alphaliner, Alphabulk) and marine insurance brokerage (Cap-Marine).
Chambre syndicale des courtiers d’affrètement maritime et de vente de navires de france
Established in 1917, the French shipbrokers association is the sole professional organization in France to represent the global interests of its members whether in the field of chartering activities or the sale and purchase of tonnage as brokers or intermediaries.
Over the years, its role and influence in maritime circles has grown significantly.
The French Shipbrokers‘ Association arranges forums for professionals, particularly in the form of its highly regarded networking matinees.
It also has representation in various national and international organizations which enables it to monitor developments in major economic and legal issues concerning the profession.
MIT Chartering is a broker specialized in maritime transportation of heavy cargos by oceangoing ships or barges.
MIT Chartering is also the representative in France and Spain of the European ship-owners MULLER, ROLLDOCK and OCEAN7 who operate a modern and versatile fleet meeting the standards of the most demanding transport requirements.
MIT Chartering is present in France through its headquarters in Versailles and its branch office in Marseille.